Warren Moor Mine
Geoff Taylor a past President and member of Middlesbrough Erimus Rotary Club gave an excellent presentation about Iron ore mining in North Yorkshire over 150 years ago.
Middlesbrough was the world centre of Iron and Steelmaking with many technological innovations leading to 150 years of world class manufacturing.
He described the successful effort to gain heritage Lottery Funding to enhance and protect, for example, some of the mine workings and calcining kilns still to be seen on the North Yorkshire Moors.
The photo of Rosedale shows the remains of the calcining kilns and the railway embankment to and from the kilns.The first construction of Rosedale railway was in 1858 when The Ingleby Ironstone & Freestone Mining Company constructed a narrow gauge line to link existing mining operations with the North Yorkshire and Cleveland Railway at Battersby (then known as Ingleby Junction). The length of the incline was 1650 yards (1510 metres) and the wagons descended at an average speed of 20 mph (32 km/h) which resulted in a journey time of 3 minutes from top to bottom.
By the middle of the 19th century the iron-making industry in the northeast was expanding rapidly, especially in the Middlesbrough area. As a result, the search was on across Cleveland and North Yorkshire for ironstone deposits to feed this expanding industry. Warren Moor Mine, as seen in the photo above, was one of these ventures but the planned shaft mine never started actual production and the site was closed by 1874.The mine is still there today in the North Yorkshire Moors.
The protection of these sites and many others is essential to ensure that the area can be proud of its industrial heritage for years to come.
Dave Whittaker, Junior Vice President of Middlesbrough Erimus Rotary Club, gave a vote of thanks and expressed his view that the presentation was packed with fantastic information and insights into the past and the work today to protect the future.